OSD has just announced its list of approved test bed pilot projects, each one targeting an aspect of facilities energy use improvement. Categories include objectives with terse titles like:
- Installation of a Nanotechnology Membrane HVAC System
- Model-Driven Energy Intelligence
- Sodium-Metal-Halide Battery Energy Storage for DoD Installations
- Grid-Interactive Renewable Energy Generation System with DC-Link Battery Storage Integration Capable of Hybrid Microgrid Operation to Increase Energy Security on DoD Installations
- Kinetic Super-Resolution Long-Wave Infrared Thermography Diagnostic for Building Envelopes
Sounds a little like ARPA-E territory, doesn't it? Though these technologies are closer to being field-able than the world-changing, very high risk / very high reward projects ARPA-E goes after.
See below for links to more DOD energy test bed information and activities: